A young Donegal man has staked his claim to becoming the next Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh.The new voice of RTE radio sport – Damien O Donaill!Damien Ó Dónaill beat off stiff competition to win the RTE Raidio na Gaeltachta/GAA commentary competition.The Rann na Feirste man wins 2 tickets to the All-Ireland Football final and a weekend for two in the Croke Park Hotel. But even better will be that Damien will also have the opportunity to come into the commentary box on All Ireland Sunday.The top entrants to the competition were invited to the RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta HQ in Casla in Connemara on Friday where they took part in a day-long commentary workshop.The winner was chosen at the end of the day by the RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta sports team, together with Alan Milton, GAA Communications Manager.Gearóidín Nic an Iomaire, Head of Sport at RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta, said the standard at the commentary workshop was very impressive, but nonetheless Damien stood out as a terrific candidate. “He was very clear, had excellent Irish, and delivered lively, engaging commentary, congratulations to him,” he said.Alan Milton, Communications Manager for the GAA said the GAA is delighted to have been part of this competition as part of our ongoing commitment to the Irish language.“It’s great to see such talent and bodes well for the language, and we look forward to working with RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta again on more projects like this in the future.” DONEGAL MAN WINS GAA TRIP OF A LIFETIME was last modified: August 31st, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Croke ParkDamien O DonaillRTE
He said the two standout stages had been day four, when the riders dropped down the escarpment from Sterkfontein Dam into KwaZulu-Natal, and the penultimate stage through the Umkomaas River Valley. MacDonald and Woolcock continued to drive the pace up Heart Rate Hill, with Evans and George sitting comfortably just behind them. “Once the break was there, it was just a matter of consolidating to the end,” said Evans. RESULTS The Nedbank 360Life rider said he and George had gotten a lot out of the event, but had also been proud to give something back. Ischen Stopforth and Catherine Williamson of bizhub-FCF took line honours in 2:57:17 to seal an almost uncontested victory in the women’s race in 38:33:27. Only Evans and George, Morison and Knipe, and the Transact pair of Paul Cordes and Arno du Toit, were able to stay with them. ‘It’s one of the top races’“They said it’s all about the riders and certainly the trails are testament to that. It’s one of the top races I’ve done…definitely in this country.” Evans said they were now looking forward to their next big goal, the BOE Sani2c, which traces the last three days of the Old Mutual joBerg2c. Shortest stageThe shortest of the nine stages commenced at a furious pace as the teams left Jolivet Farm in the Highflats region. MacDonald and Woolcock rode hard up front to force an early break on the single track, which the riders hit after 5 kilometres. “We’re spoilt to be able to come back and do this twice in the space of two weeks. We’ve checked out the tracks and I think we know where we’re going to make the racing.” ‘An easier way to end the tour’“It played out pretty much as we thought,” said Evans. “RE:CM wanted to win one more stage, so we had a free ride and just got to sit on. It was actually nice because it’s an easier way to end the tour.” The hills towards the first water point, after 33 kilometres, split the front group and the two top teams in this year’s race, RE:CM and Nedbank 360Life, were able to open up a gap of 1:20 on Itec-Connect Vodacom and Transact. The Nedbank 360Life duo, who won the African leader jersey at the recent Absa Cape Epic, completed the 910km journey from Heidelberg in Gauteng to Scottburgh in 32 hours 27 minutes and 39 seconds, which left them 17 minutes clear of defending champions Neil MacDonald and Waylon Woolcock of RE:CM, who recorded a total time of 32:44:43. “I’m sure it will become an important race for our team from now on.” SAinfo reporter Top South African mountain biking stars Kevin Evans and David George debuted in spectacular fashion at the 2012 Old Mutual joBerg2c, taking five stage wins en route to overall victory at Scottburgh on the Kwazulu-Natal south coast on Saturday. Wheelchairs donatedThey donated a wheelchair per stage win to the Cycling for Mobility initiative and an additional 14 from the proceeds of the auction of their African leader jersey. The final day’s racing over 71 kilometres ended in a dramatic sprint across the beach, with RE:CM cementing their runner-up spot in the overall standings with a second stage win in 2:27:59. Nedbank 360Life followed them over the line just seven seconds later. 7 May 2012 Contego 28E’s powerhouse couple, Erik and Ariane Kleinhans, also added the mixed category medal to their recent Epic title, completing the nine days of riding in 36:08:58. Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material Men1. Kevin Evans, David George (Nedbank 360Life) 32:27:392. Waylon Woolcock, Neil MacDonald (RE:CM) 32:44:433. David Morison, Louis-Bresler Knipe (Itec Connect-Vodacom) 33:27:09 Women1. Ischen Stopforth, Catherine Williamson (bizhub-fcf) 38:33:272. Sarah van Heerden, Jackie Church (Itec Connect-Vodacom Ladies) 40:34:313. Michelle van der Westhuizen, Jo Mackenzie (Cycling for Mobility 2) 54:38:04 MixedErik Kleinhans, Ariane Kleinhans (Contego 28E) 36:08:58Johan Labuschagne, Yolande de Villiers (Cycle Lab KTM) 37:12:12Carel Bosman, Leana de Jager (PeptroPro-bizhub) 39:15:23 Itec Connect-Vodacom’s David Morison and Louis-Bresler Knipe finished two minutes off the pace in 2:30:06 to take third on the day and the final step on the podium overall in 33:27:09. Evans said afterwards that the event had exceeded his every expectations and that he and George had thoroughly enjoyed interacting with the 550-odd riders in the community-run race villages.
This week, how Flickr photos could help predict floods, why it might be a good idea to ignore some cyberattacks, and new questions about the existence of human pheromones with Online News Editor David Grimm. And Sarah Richardson joins Alexa Billow to discuss a global project to build a set of working yeast chromosomes from the ground up.Read Sarah Richardson’s research in Science.Listen to previous podcasts. Download the show transcript.Transcripts courtesy of Scribie.com.[Image: Drew Gurian; Music: Jeffrey Cook] Drew Gurian
Marcel Brands joins Everton boardby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveEverton football director Marcel Brands has joined the club’s board.Brands has already helped implement a number of important changes at Goodison Park and worked closely with manager Marco Silva, chairman Bill Kenwright and chief executive, Professor Denise Barrett-Baxendale, to secure the recruitment of seven players during last summer’s transfer window.He has started work on delivering the Club’s long-term, permanent football strategy.Brands said: “It gives me a lot of confidence that I’m a Board member now and I hope to do the best for our Club.“Being at Everton has been even better than I thought it would be. I was working at a great club in Holland and was happy there but it was a great chance for me to come to the Premier League and join Everton.“At the start I had a great feeling but it’s been a better feeling working here. I work with a lot of great people with blue blood and I’m confident we can achieve many good things in the future.”Kenwright added: “I think we’ve got a great Director of Football who has taken over and changed an awful lot. He has totally reorganised our scouting, he wants our kids to play the same as Marco’s first team and we are really happy with the team we have got. Marcel is terrific to work with. We really feel secure with Marco and Marcel. They won’t sign anyone who they don’t think will improve us.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
AC Milan coach Gattuso urges Higuain to reject Chelseaby Carlos Volcano9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAC Milan coach Gennaro Gattuso admits he doesn’t want to lose Gonzalo Higuain.On-loan from Juventus, Higuain is now in talks with Chelsea.”If Gonzalo wasn’t training the way I like to see, then I would not have made the decision to use him in the squad against Sampdoria,” assured Gattuso ahead of their Coppa Italia tie with Sampdoria.“There is gossip around him at this moment, but seeing the way he trains, the effort he puts in and the professionalism with which he treats me, you wouldn’t know.“The rest is down to his brother, his agent and Leonardo. I hope Higuain remains as long as possible, but if that doesn’t happen, then we’ll see. As long as he is here and continues to behave with this level of professionalism, it won’t be a problem for me.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Wolves discuss Coady extension as Liverpool, Arsenal circleby Freddie Taylor9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool and Arsenal are monitoring Wolves defender Conor Coady. The 25-year-old has starred this season for the Black Country club.It is believed Wolves are preparing a brand new contract for the Englishman to ward off any potential suitors.They would be Liverpool and Arsenal, according to the Daily Mail. Both clubs are in need for a centre-back this month. Coady graduated from Liverpool’s academy in 2013 before joining Huddersfield Town a season later.
CALGARY (660 NEWS) — Some Calgary small business owners are still left in shock after hearing about the tax increases coming with the four-year budget plan released by city council Tuesday.The frustration has even reached social media with many users calling for Mayor Naheed Nenshi to step down because of the budget.Stephen Deere is the owner of Modern Steak in Kensington who didn’t go so far as to say the mayor should resign but believes a change in council is necessary.“We need some form of new blood. I think Nenshi is very much a sound bite, social media person, he puts out his two things, and people either love him or hate him for it. I think we need to go deeper beyond the soundbite and actually look at making a big picture, long-term decisions that are going to drive prosperity for all people in Calgary instead of just going back to taxation.”Deere said there is too much uncertainty regarding the tax increases and that it’s getting more difficult to operate his business as a result of the taxes, the recent recession on the price of oil.The Canadian Federation of Independent Business also chimed in on the budget saying the City’s spending is a big issue that needs to be addressed instead of continuous taxation.“I think what this requires is some remedial, going through the budget and finding those areas of saving because in the past we’ve suggested things that could be looked at and council doesn’t even consider those little things or the big things,” said Alberta Director Amber Ruddy who pointed out that a recent survey found that about 53 per cent of businesses are considering leaving Calgary as a result of the high level of property taxes.The move to change spending habits in council is being echoed by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation with Alberta director Franco Terrazzano suggesting that the city eliminate their golden benefits.“That means the retirement bonuses that city employees. There’s over 200 City of Calgary employees that are set to receive three pensions from the City. Calgary is the only major city that gives two pensions to its mayor. Between 2007 and 2016 Calgary city council pensions cost taxpayers more than Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver combined.”Terrazzano doesn’t believe that a sudden change needs to happen as that outcome is ultimately up to voters in an election.
BEIJING — The U.S. government has accused Beijing of stepping up hacking attacks aimed at stealing American technology ahead of a meeting between Presidents Donald Trump and Xi Jinping.Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said in a report that Chinese hacking efforts aimed at stealing American trade secrets have “increased in frequency and sophistication” this year.The report reflects U.S. skepticism before the meeting, to be held during a gathering of the Group of 20 major economies in Buenos Aires.The two sides have raised import duties on billions of dollars of each other’s goods in a fight over U.S. complaints that Beijing steals or pressures companies to hand over technology.The Associated Press
OTTAWA — The Liberals are promising that a re-elected Justin Trudeau government would impose new taxes on the wealthy, large international corporations, foreign housing speculators and tech giants to help cover the cost of billions in new spending and a tax break for the middle class.Even so, the Liberal platform released today projects another four years of deficits — $27.4 billion next year, falling to $21 billion by the fourth year of the mandate.However, it promises that Canada’s debt-to-GDP ratio, already one of the most favourable among industrialized countries, will continue to decrease. The Canadian Press A re-elected Liberal government would impose an additional 10 per cent excise tax on luxury cars, boats and personal aircraft with price tags of more than $100,000.Tech giants like Google, Amazon and Facebook with global revenues of at least $1 billion a year would face a three per cent tax on revenue generated by the sale of online advertising and users’ personal data.Non-resident foreigners who own vacant property in cities like Vancouver and Toronto, where speculation is a concern, will also face a national tax.And the Liberals would crack down on tax loopholes that they say allow large corporations to excessively deduct debt to artificially reduce the amount of taxes they pay.This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 29, 2019.
Jammu: Pakistani troops Sunday resorted to unprovoked ceasefire violations targeting forward posts and villages at four places along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir’s Poonch district, officials said.The firing was intense in the Krishna Ghati sector, where the Pakistani troops resorted to mortar shelling and firing by small arms from around 04.30 AM, which was retaliated to befittingly by the Indian Army, a defence spokesman said. Also Read – How a psychopath killer hid behind the mask of a devout laity!He said the cross-border shelling between the two sides continued till 07.30 AM. There was no report of any casualty on the Indian side, he said.Officials said firing and shelling by Pakistan were also reported from the Balnoi and Mankote (both in Mendhar sector), besides from Shahpur sector, all in Poonch district, for a brief period in the early hours of Sunday.The firing was mild in nature and lasted for a brief period without causing any harm, they said. Also Read – Encounter under way in Pulwama, militant killedOn late Saturday as well, the Pakistan army had targeted Indian positions In Sunderbani sector of Rajouri district for several hours.There has been a spurt in ceasefire violations by Pakistan after India’s preemptive air strike on a Jaish-e-Mohammed terror camp in Balakot on February 26 following the February 14 Pulwama terror attack in which 40 CRPF personnel were killed.Four civilians, including three members of a family, were killed and several others injured as Pakistan targeted over 80 villages in more than 100 incidents of ceasefire violations along the LoC in the state since then.The frequent ceasefire violations have caused panic among the border residents, forcing authorities to close down educational institutions within five km radius from the zero line in the twin districts of Poonch and Rajouri as a precautionary measure.However, most schools reopened a few days back after the intensity of the cross-border firing decreased.