[mappress]Offshore Energy Today Staff, May 20, 2014 China is withdrawing its citizens from Vietnam, following last week’s clashes and riots which saw several foreign factories torched by Vietnamese workers protesting against CNOOC’s deployment of an offshore rig in the contested area of the South China Sea.Starting from May 17, the Chinese side has organized chartered planes and ships to Vietnam to bring back Chinese citizens. A chartered plane with medical facilities onboard and China Southern Airlines flights have taken back 307 people affected in the violent acts in Ha Tinh province, including all those injured.Four ferries namely Wuzhishan, Tongguling, Zijing 12 and Baishiling under the coordination of the transportation authorities were to pick up around 4,000 Chinese citizens at Vung Ang port of Ha Tinh province yesterday. The four ferries all arrived at the port yesterday to pick up Chinese citizens.During this period of time, the cross-sectoral working group sent by the Chinese government and Chinese diplomatic and consular missions in Vietnam have made proactive efforts in Hanoi, Ha Tinh and other places to ensure that Chinese citizens come back home safe and sound, a press release on the China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ websiteSome Chinese citizens headed to Cambodia in recent days to seek safety.“China appreciates the Cambodian side for offering convenience and assistance to those Chinese citizens. The Chinese embassy in Cambodia also attends to them,” the ministry said in the release.China has raised the level of its travel warning for Chinese citizens to go to Vietnam, advising them not to go there for the time being and has suspended some of the bilateral exchange plans. China said it would consider taking further steps depending on how the situation plays out.Vietnam: Situation stableIn a statement made on Saturday, May 17, Vietnam Foreign Affairs Ministry said the situation in provinces where the incidents occurred is now stabilized and under control.“The safety, life and property of foreigners are guaranteed. Almost all Vietnamese and foreign enterprises have returned to normal production and business,” Dang Minh Khoi, Foreign Minister’s Assistant said.“The government of Vietnam will not allow any act of sabotage targeting foreign enterprises and staff, and will strictly handle violations, punish the troublemakers, and ensure that such regrettable incidents will not reoccur,” Dang Minh Khoi added.He maintained Vietnam would defend its sovereignty and asked China to remove the HYSY 981 rig from what Vietnam claims to be Vietnamese territorial waters in the South China Sea. China, however, says it is operating in its own continental shelf.One person was reported killed during the anti-China protests last Tuesday and Wednesday, but according to Reuters the number could be as twenty one dead and a hundred wounded.
1 of 2 Bonteheuwel residents marched to the satellite police station on Saturday August 31, to demand the case into the death of Jill Fernandez, be reopened. Bonteheuwel residents, family and friends of Jill Fernandez, marched through the streets on Saturday August 31, to demand that the case into her death be reopened.The 49-year-old woman died on Sunday December 23 last year, allegedly after being assaulted.The case was withdrawn on Tuesday August 13.The family of Ms Fernandez believes the case was thrown out of court because there were discrepancies in the investigation, but SAPS has denied this.According to a statement re-leased by provincial SAPS spokesperson, Brigadier Novela Potelwa, the case was given another look after complaints that the investigating officer had failed in his duties.“As the SAPS, we are mandated by law to investigate all reported cases. It was therefore befitting that the case be given another look. Part of that entailed the inspection of the docket again. “A medical report at the disposal of the SAPS, which was presented as part of the docket to court, does not suggest any form of injury on the 49-year-old person who was brought to the Vanguard Day Hospital on Saturday December 22, 2018 at 10.30pm.“The post-mortem report which was availed to the investigating officer in April, reflects no injury consistent with claims made by the deceased’s brother. The post-mortem report compiled by a forensic pathologist, found that the deceased died of natural causes. The findings of the post mortem report, coupled with the Vanguard Day Hospital report, led to the case being withdrawn as there was no evidence to support the eye witness account of a concrete slab being thrown at the deceased thereby injuring her seriously,” the statement reads.Ms Fernandez’ brother, Kurt Fernandez, said SAPS “had the audacity to say the family is lying” and vowed that “we will fight this”. “I have evidence. I am standing on my word. I am not thumbsucking anything. We demand that the case be reopened by an outside investigator. The post-mortem results were made available to the investigating officer in April, but in July, during the court case, the investigating officer said under oath, he did not know where the post-mortem result was,” Mr Fernandez said.Henriette Abrahams, from the Bonteheuwel Development Forum, who supported the march, said the reports into the detah of Ms Fernandez, needed to be probed. A memorandum was handed over at the satellite police station in Bonteheuwel after the march.“This march is not only about Jill. We want to build safer networks for women. Our memorandum is not just aimed at SAPS, but all stakeholders and government departments,” Ms Abrahams said. Nabeelah Boyce was among the people who made their voices heard during the march. Bonteheuwel residents marched to the satellite police station on Saturday August 31, to demand the case into the death of Jill Fernandez, be reopened.
NHS hospitals must brace themselves for an ‘explosion’ in medical negligence claims in the aftermath of the report into the Mid Staffordshire scandal, a leading lawyer in the sector has said. Tim Gorman, partner at clinical negligence firm Axiclaim, said last month’s publication of the Francis report has removed a mental barrier for victims thinking about bringing a claim. The public inquiry into the scandal found at least 1,200 patients had died due to poor care and mismanagement at Stafford Hospital. Gorman said: ‘In the past, victims of medical accidents often had moral reservations about claiming against the NHS, despite having clearly suffered extreme negligence in some cases. The shocking findings of the Francis report have now made hospitals fair game in the eyes of the public. We expect to see an explosion in the number of victims coming forward.’ A spokesman for the NHS Litigation Authority, which defends hospitals in England against clinical negligence claims, said there had been an increase in claims against the NHS in recent years, but there had yet to be any spike following the Mid Staffordshire report. He added: ‘We are experts at helping to resolve such claims and operate efficiently to ensure justified claims are paid promptly and less meritorious claims are defended.’
Rugby League BY KEVIN TEME Proper incentives for athletes in any sports can lift their performance, says Minister for Commerce and Industry Wera Mori (pictured). Whether it is an individual or team sport, incentives have become one of the major catalysts of lifting players’ performances in the modern era. While proper discipline, training and preparations are just as vital for athletes or teams, incentives play a major role,” he said. Mori said this during the Digicel Cup preliminary finals between Lae Snax Tigers and Bintangor Goroka Lahanis at the Oil Search National Football Stadium on Sunday. Mori, who is also the Chuave MP and a strong rugby league supporter, said proper incentives also played a big part in the Lahanis’ victory. “For Lahanis, we are complete footballers and we play our game to the last minute. As you can see the way the boys came back, it is the stamina and it’s an indication of the amount of effort and quality of time that the coaching staff put into to mould the Lahanis,” he said. Mendi Muruks is another franchise club facing similar setbacks with players not being paid their fortnight salaries and match payments, among others. Former Muruks coach Jack Kereme said: “Most of these players have families to look after and if you put in proper incentives for them, they will perform to the best of their ability as they are playing for something. “At the end of the day, you got to look after your players and they will perform.” Mori said he had to provide incentives for the Lahanis and it showed in their strong performance on the day. “These were new players and we had to provide incentives in this game now. What will happen is that for every tackle I am putting K50 and the Lahanis boys have to win to take that so its a win to win it or lose to lose it,” Mori said. Mori said it was quite a task but it worked out for the team. Asked if he would consider taking more supporters to Lae for the game against the Gurias, Mori said: “I think we should win the game against Gurias and besides, I am sure Lae can be reached as it’s along the Highlands Highway. You could see the entire Eastern Highlands Province there.”