Cardiff City chairman Mehmet Dalman has confirmed the Bluebirds are yet to pay Nantes the first instalment for missing striker Emiliano Sala.Earlier on Wednesday reports emerged that the Ligue 1 club were demanding six of the €15 million (£13m/$17m) from the Premier League club for the Argentine forward.AdChoices广告The plane carrying Sala – and pilot David Ibbotson – from Nantes to Cardiff went missing on January 21 , with Guernsey Police undertaking a search for the Piper Malibu aircraft in the following days. Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? After that exploration was stopped, a privately-funded search for the aircraft was launched and the plane was found on Sunday, with the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) confirming one passenger is visible in the submerged wreckage.The AAIB have now recovered the body and, out of respect for Sala’s family, Dalman says Cardiff will allow an ongoing process to be completed before dealing with the payment to Nantes.”The only thing I can say, because it is a sensitive subject, is that I confirm that what you are saying [that Cardiff haven’t paid the first instalment] is true,” he told L’Equipe .”And to be honest, I do not want to say anything more at this time.”When asked why they are yet to pay, Dalman added: “The first reason is that the body has not been recovered yet.”We must show respect to the family. There is a process for recovering the plane. It’s too early for us to comment.”[We will pay] when we think it’s the right time to do it.”I don’t think Cardiff said we were not going to pay.”The AAIB said in a statement released on Wednesday: “In challenging conditions, the AAIB and its specialist contractors successfully recovered the body previously seen amidst the wreckage. The operation was carried out in as dignified a way as possible and the families were kept informed of progress.”Unfortunately, attempts to recover the aircraft wreckage were unsuccessful before poor weather conditions forced us to return the ROV to the ship. The weather forecast is poor for the foreseeable future and so the difficult decision was taken to bring the overall operation to a close. The body is currently being taken to Portland to be passed into the care of the Dorset Coroner. “Although it was not possible to recover the aircraft, the extensive video record captured by the ROV is expected to provide valuable evidence for our safety investigation.”
Ajax star Donny van de Beek says he could stay at the club despite interest from “fantastic” Real Madrid.The 22-year-old has already confirmed Madrid have contacted Ajax over a possible transfer as a successful move for Manchester United’s Paul Pogba looks increasingly unlikely.Van de Beek, who excelled in Ajax’s run to the Champions League semi-finals last season, says there is nothing certain about his future but is not ruling out staying in Amsterdam. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? “They’re a fantastic club, but Ajax are too,” he said to Ziggo Sport when asked about Madrid.”I’ve nothing to complain about in that regard. There’s a very good chance I’ll continue playing here, but nothing is certain yet.”When pressed on whether it would be better for the club to have clarity on his future, he said: “I hope so, too, because I’m a bit fed up with all the questions about it.”Van de Beek was involved on Tuesday as Ajax claimed a 3-2 win over PAOK to secure a 5-4 aggregate triumph in the third round of Champions League qualifying.Speaking ahead of that match, director of football Marc Overmars voiced his confidence that Van de Beek could decide to spend a little longer with the Eredivisie champions.”I don’t think it will take long for things to be clear,” Overmars told Ziggo Sport.When asked if he thought Van de Beek would stay, he replied: “I’ll go for yes.”Overmars did, however, confirm there is “absolutely” interest in the player.”I said a few weeks ago that, by a certain date, I want clarity. That date is set,” he added.Ajax have already seen Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus) and Frenkie de Jong (Barcelona) depart from last season’s squad, and would be loathe to see another star depart. The Eredivisie champions have a league match against VVV Venlo this weekend before they move on to face APOEL next week in the first leg of another two-leg Champions League play-off.
A brother and sister from Hamilton carried the Pan Am torch into the CIBC Hamilton Pan Am soccer stadium this morning as part of the national torch re-lay ahead of the Toronto 2015 Pan Am games.Kia and Darnell Nurse come from a family of athletes. Darnell is an Edmonton Oilers prospect who’s helped Canada win a World Junior Hockey gold medal. Kia is a Pan Am hopeful for the Canadian women’s national basketball team at the games that begin next month. Their father, Richard Nurse is a former player with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. The Pan Am torch visits Winnipeg for a short visit today, before returning to the area tomorrow with stops in Milton, Brampton, and Oakville.