bprhwbxp

first_imgSpanish left back Nacho Monreal has left Arsenal after six years at the London club to join La Liga side Real Sociedad on a two-year deal for an undisclosed fee, both sides said on Saturday.Monreal, 33, joined Arsenal from Malaga in January 2013 and went on to make 251 appearances for the club, scoring 10 goals.“During his time with us, Nacho played in his natural left-back position and also in central defence. He won three FA Cups, three Community Shields and played a big part in our run to the Europa League final last season,” said a statement from Arsenal.“We would like to thank Nacho for his contribution to the club and everyone at Arsenal wishes him the best for his future.”Monreal, who began his career with Osasuna, will be presented as a Real Sociedad player on Monday.His new side have taken four points in three games this season and were beaten 2-0 by local rivals Athletic Bilbao on Friday.last_img read more

first_img0Shares0000LONDON, England, February 9- Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has called on his side to show the right response to their 5-1 hammering at the hands of Liverpool.The Gunners found themselves 4-0 down within the opening 20 minutes as Liverpool’s attacking display blew away Wenger’s side and raised serious questions about their Premier League title ambitions. Wenger was at a loss to explain his side’s below-par showing and has demanded they respond by putting in a big improvement against Manchester United on Wednesday.“What is important is that we respond to that result, especially respond with a different performance because our performance overall was poor,” said Wenger.“On the concentration level, on pace, on defensive stability, it was very poor and we always looked vulnerable.“If you concede two early goals from set-pieces then you are in a position where you always have to come out.“I just think the whole team have failed to turn up with the right performance. We know that you need to be better focused at this kind of level.“Overall our performance was just not good enough and I include myself in that performance.“For me it is maybe better I don’t talk too much, go home and respond better on Wednesday night.“Congratulations to Liverpool. They were the best team today and we were very poor – only our fans were good for 90 minutes.”Arsenal keeper Wojciech Szczesny labelled Arsenal’s display as “f***** embarrassing” and apologised for the result.“That was embarrassing,” wrote Szczesny – who previously conceded six at Manchester City in December – on his official Facebook page, with the message also containing an expletive.“Apologies to anyone who sat through 90mins of that game.”– Football365.com0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

first_img“Following a successful meeting between the Kenyan Premier League management and the management of the Nyayo National Stadium, Kenyan Premier League would like to confirm that the facility owners have agreed to exceptionally allow the AFC Leopards SC-Gor Mahia FC match to be played at the venue on Sunday,” KPL said in a brief statement.Earlier, AFC Leopards head coach Stewart Hall had asked for the government to consider opening up either Nyayo or kasarani for the duel as Afraha which has a maximum capacity of about 9,000 fans wouldn’t be ideal.Both teams have welcomed the decision to have the game played at Nyayo.Gor Mahia deputy Secretary General Ronald Ngala says that should have been the ideal situation from the word go especially for a game he termed as the ‘signature’ of the league.“I think it is high time we manage this game properly especially for the league managers. Most of the times, there is usually so much uncertainty about the venue and date which keeps changing time and again. In other countries, derbies are usually planned months ahead and hyped well,” Ngala lamented.“But we welcome the decision to have the game at Nyayo. That is the ideal situation,” he added.Meanwhile, both the Nyayo and Kasarani Stadia will only be ready after July, according to KPL CEO Jack Oguda. Kasarani will be hosting the IAAF World Under-18 Championships between July 12-16 and the facility will only be available after that.Nyayo meanwhile is undergoing a major facelift with an eye for the 2018 African nations Championship.“We have a meeting with the management on Thursday morning to plan for the match. There are certain conditions they will give us to be able to host the game,” Oguda further said.Meanwhile, The Ruaraka Complex has been re-opened and will be hosting low risk matches for the home team, Tusker FC. The first game will be this weekend where the hosts will face Kakamega Homeboyz.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Gor and AFC fans in jovial mood as they head to the Stadium before Sunday’s Mashemeji derby.PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaNAIROBI, Kenya, May 3 – The Kenyan Premier League has announced that the Mashemeji Derby will go on this Sunday as scheduled with the Nyayo National Stadium management agreeing to exceptionally open its gates, just for that one match.The match had initially been set for the Afraha Stadium in Nakuru but later called off over security concerns surrounding the capacity of the stadium.last_img read more

first_imgLANCASTER – About 98 percent of Antelope Valley Union High School District’s class of 2006 passed the state’s controversial high school exit exam, required this year for the first time to earn a diploma. The district’s pass rate was better than the state’s, which was 90.4 percent. “I am pleased with the results. I felt the staffs put together good intervention programs and gave kids the information they needed to pass the exam,” said Brent Woodard, director of curriculum. The district had estimated in May that less than 200 seniors had not passed both the math and English sections of the exit exam, but that figure did not include the test results from the last test given before graduation in March. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2The results from the March test lowered the figure to 76 seniors not passing, out of a class of nearly 3,500. They completed all other requirements for graduation with the exception of passing the exit exam. “A lot of them passed. A lot of them took it seriously and went to class and passed,” Woodard said. Those students who have not passed the test have another chance to take it in late July. The district is offering a summer test preparation class at each of its school sites that began last Monday and runs every day until the test next month, Woodard said. “They need to contact their site of attendance and get enrolled,” Woodard said. If they don’t pass the July test, students can enroll in adult school and try again in November. The district allowed students who did not pass the test to participate in graduation ceremonies. Whether those students get diplomas depends on court challenges to the state exam. The class of 2006 was the first to be required to pass the exit exam to earn a diploma. Nearly 42,000 students statewide have not passed the test. An Alameda County Superior Court judge May 12 halted the exit exam as a graduation requirement, but the state appealed that decision to the California Supreme Court, which 12 days later reinstated the exam. The state’s high court ordered a state appeals court to hold a hearing on the issue. Authorized by state lawmakers in 1999, the exit exam was originally to take effect in 2004. It was delayed until this year because of questions over whether students were adequately prepared and knew about the test. High school students have six chances to pass the exam. They can it take once in their sophomore year, twice in their junior year and three times in their senior year. Because of legislation passed in January, special-education students received a one-time exemption this year from the requirement under certain circumstances. The exemption applies to students with disabilities who were identified to be on track for graduation in 2006, have an individual education plan, completed or are about to complete other graduation requirements, received tutoring, and have taken the exit exam at least twice after 10th grade, including once during their senior year. karen.maeshiro@dailynews.com (661) 267-5744160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECalifornia’s bungled $1 billion accounting system 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Seventeen people were hurt today in a collision between a truck and an Orange Line bus at Oxnard Street and Woodman Avenue, including one critical injury, officials said. The cause of the 3:45 p.m. crash was under investigation, officials said. The accident occured about a week before the one-year anniversary of the 14-mile-long busway across the San Fernando Valley. The line has fewer accidents than the Blue Line light-rail system and is the safest bus line in the system, transit officials said. Its opening weeks were marred by accidents, including one that injured 15 people. Officials subsequently spent more than $1 million in safety precautions, such as photo-enforcement cameras.last_img read more

first_img1 Diego Costa is refusing to return to Chelsea Atletico Madrid have shelved all plans to conclude a deal for Chelsea outcast Diego Costa until January, according to the club’s president.The Brazil-born Spaniard is currently out in the cold at Stamford Bridge after Antonio Conte reportedly told him by text he no longer features in his plans.As such, it looked certain that Costa would leave during the summer with a number of clubs interested in signing him.His former club Atletico Madrid are very keen on bringing him back but, due to a transfer ban, they are unable to sign players until January and that has left Costa in limbo.It has been widely reported that Atletico are already working hard on a deal to sign him in January for as much as £54m.The move is so certain, according to some reports, that he is in the process of buying a house in Madrid and sending his family back there already.But Atletico president Enrique Cerezo has poured cold water on suggestions that a deal is imminent.He told Diario AS: “If his family is moving [to Madrid] then I do not know.“What I do understand is that Costa is a Chelsea player and until January, there is time to talk to his club and with anybody else.“We will not do anything until January.”last_img read more

first_imgPicture this: A palm-size video camera that you don’t have to be a genius to operate. Or, a gizmo that slings your TV signal to any computer, anywhere. As digital technology makes moving images ever more portable, devices that let us record, watch and save video are proliferating in an array of new forms and at all price points. The result: A host of cool gift ideas for the holiday season and beyond. Video for dummies 1. The RCA Small Wonder Camcorder, $129 AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: John Jackson greets a Christmas that he wasn’t sure he’d see This idiot-proof video camera is high-tech for the masses. Just 4 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches, the RCA Small Wonder is the same size as a still camera and provides 60 minutes of video recording. A screen on the back displays what you’re recording – just point and shoot. When you’re done, it plugs into your computer with a built-in jack so you can save or upload with ease. It doesn’t come with editing tools, so it’s not designed for professional use. But for digital dummies ready to join the video-podcasting revolution, pronto, it offers bare-bones video for a reasonable price. http://www.mysmallwonder.com/ TV for travelers 2. Sling Media’s Slingbox, $179 to $249 The Slingbox redirects your TV signal to any computer with a high-speed Internet connection, letting you watch your TV wherever you are – whether you’re traveling or even living abroad. Or maybe you just want to create a second TV set in your house. It connects to your cable box, satellite receiver or digital video recorder, so your TV doesn’t have to be on. www.slingmedia.com Adrenaline junkies 3. Oregon Scientific’s ATC2000, $129.99 The ATC2000 is a hands-free, fully waterproof action camera – a small canister-shaped contraption that you can attach to your bike, bag, helmet, whatever and record images on the go. It shoots 30 frames a second and contains 32 megabytes of internal memory, which can be supplemented with a memory card. It also comes with editing software. That said, it’s already on back order on Amazon, so it’s not quite for last-minute shoppers. Also available through Oregon Scientific’s Web site. http://www.oregonscientific.com/eng/ Looking ahead 4. RCA MPC4000 Laptop Receiver, $199 After the holidays, maybe you’ll want to buy a little something for yourself. In 2007, RCA will offer a clip-on antenna to turn any laptop or desktop computer into a television. Receive and record HDTV or analog signals broadcast over the air and watch TV on the go. In the future, computers will eventually supplant today’s televisions.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

first_imgEastern Harps2110383263 TEAMPLDWONDRAWLOSTFORAGAINSTDIFFPOINTS Naomh Eoin10011029-190 Dermot Molloy Hurling League Group 1Sun, 02 Apr, Venue: Kent Park, (Round 1), Naomh Eoin 0-10 Carrick Hurling Club (St Marys) 4-17Sun, 02 Apr, Venue: Ransboro Park, (Round 1), CooleraStrandhill 3-14 Calry/St Joseph’s 3-7Abbott Cup Group 1 Dermot Molloy Hurling League Group 1 Calry/St Joseph’s10011623-70 Cúil Irra/Leathros/CooleraStrandhill1100231672 TEAMPLDWONDRAWLOSTFORAGAINSTDIFFPOINTS Carrick Hurling Club (St Marys)11002910192 Cluainin Iomaint00000000 Ballymote Round Towers1010121201 Shamrock Gaels/Gaeil na Seamróige10012026-60 Abbott Cup Group 1Sun, 02 Apr, Venue: Gurteen Community Park, (Round 1), Eastern Harps 4-14 Shamrock Gaels 3-11last_img read more

first_imgSaturday’s triple bill of Sligo LGFA senior, intermediate and junior championship football finals at Kilcoyne Park in Tubbercurry have been postponed because of the wet weather and an unplayable surface.With no other playable venue available to Sligo LGFA, the finals have been called off.The finals have been provisionally re-scheduled for Sunday, September 8th. Venue(s) tbc.last_img

first_img20 January 2014 South African Giniel de Villiers and German co-pilot Dirk von Zitzewitz, driving a Toyota Hilux, claimed victory on the 14th and final stage of the 2014 Dakar Rally on Saturday to end the gruelling 13-stage race in fourth place overall. The race started in Argentina and finished in Chile, while the motorcyclists and quad bike riders also ventured into Bolivia. The car category was dominated by Mini, which finished 1-2-3, with Nani Roma and Michel Perin taking the title ahead of Stephane Peterhansel and Jean Paul Cottret, with Nasser Al-Attiyah and Lucas Cruz in third. Marc Coma, on a KTM, dominated the motorbikes category, winning the race by almost two hours over fellow KTM rider Jordi Viladoms and Yamaha’s Olivier Pain.Mini challenge De Villiers and Von Zitzewitz held off four Minis on the final stage to secure the win in an hour, 57 minutes and seven seconds, just 23 seconds of Poland’s Krzyztof Holowczyc and Russia’s Konstantin Zhiltsov. Leeroy Poulter and Duncan Howie, in their first Dakar Rally, came home seven minutes and 41 seconds behind their team mates, De Villiers and Von Zitzewitz, to finish in 12th place on the stage and in 33rd place overall.Privateers South African privateers Thomas Rundle and Juan Mohr, both Dakar rookies like Poulter, finished 18th in De Villiers’ previous Toyota Hilux, just less than 15 minutes behind the 2009 champion, which meant they completed the race in a very creditable 25th place overall. The Toyota team was solid, probably without achieving the heights it was seeking, while the South African-built and run Team Ford Ranger, in Team Ford Racing’s first crack at the Dakar, had some growing pains, with one of their two vehicles failing to finish. Nonetheless, Argentinia’s Lucio Alvarez and Bernardo Graue, in one of the Rangers, placed 23rd on the final stage to hold onto their 22nd position overall in the final standings.Motorbikes In the motorbike category, Brett Cummings, on a KTM, finished the final stage in 35th place to place 28th overall, while Riaan van Niekerk came home in 75th place on the final stage. That result was very misleading as Van Niekerk, recognising that he had a lead of more than an hour over the man behind him, waited for race leader and fellow KTM rider Marc Coma, who started 38 minutes after the South African, to ride with the Spanish star and ensure he finished. In the end, Van Niekerk finished in 12th place overall and won the Super Production class for a second year in succession. He was also the first non-factory rider to finish.last_img read more